I’m so excited to be participating in the October round of Pitch to Publication. Here is my wish list along with some of my favorite books.
- YA is my main jam. I read anything and everything YA. All subgenres welcome! Especially historical fiction and fantasy.
- MG: I would like thoughtful contemporary and historical pieces in the vein of The Penderwicks, Wonder, and The Breadwinner. I also like unique/quirky premises such as The One and Only Ivan, When You Reach Me, and The Sound of Life and Everything.
- Adult: I’m tempted to say I’m not doing adult, but I did choose an adult manuscript last go around, and loved it. That said, I’m extremely picky with my adult books. Please only send contemporary or historical fiction. I’m not a good fit for adult speculative fiction (I don’t read enough of it to help you!). I also am not great for period romances or women’s fiction. Some adult books I love includeHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, The Girl You Left Behind, The Thirteenth Tale, and The Rent Collector. There are a lot of great editors who are maybe better fits for adult entries than I am. I’d suggest subbing to them unless your novel really fits something on my wish list.
- No NA or erotica, please. Sorry. I’m not a good fit for these genres.
- I love funny books. If your book is funny, please send it to me. Also sass. I’m all about that sass.
- I like a great high concept book with a strong X meets Y formula. The weirder the mash-up, the better. I also like books that don’t conform to one genre (Under the Never Sky, for example). Books with non-standard narrative style are great.
- This should go without saying, but I care very much about representation. Diversity is important to me.
- I’m particularly interested in religious diversity. Show me characters who find their faith or lose their faith or struggle with their faith. As long as it’s not didactic, I’m interested.
- I would really love to see LGBT+ characters. I’m especially looking for characters on the ace spectrum (asexual, demisexual, grey asexual, etc.).
- Body type diversity. Give me fat characters. Or characters who are somewhere between fat and skinny. Give me characters who lose weight and are happy about it or who stay fat and are happy about it. Also, any and all submissions with disability representation (mental or physical) are welcome.
- I love historical fiction. Here are some time periods/ events I would especially love to see: French Revolution, American Revolution, Mughal India, Heian or Edo periods Japan, pre-Imperial Russia, Incan or Aztec Empire, 1950s, ancient Persia, ancient Greece, and ancient Egypt.
- Other random things I would love: Geek culture romance (The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You, All the Feels), wordplay, enemies to lovers, characters with interesting extracurricular activities, an ensemble of misfits, unreliable narrators, anything that can be compared to a Taylor Swift music video.
- I am NOT a good fit for books with: the chosen one (probably, unless it’s subtle), a portal that takes the main character to a new world, third person present POV, fairy tale retellings (retellings of classic literature are fine!), or animal protagonists.
- The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
- Wonder by J.R. Palacio
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
- The Sound of Life and Everything by Krista Van Dozler
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You by Lilly Anderson
- These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
- These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu
- The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
- A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller
- This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
- We Were Liars by E. Lockheart
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
- The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin
- The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield